Veterans Benefits


DD-214Service Connected Disability CompensationNon-Service Connected (NSC) Pension
Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC) Death PensionBurial BenefitsFort Sam National CemeteryVA Guaranteed Home Loans Texas Veterans BenefitsAdditional Benefit Information


  • Top of the Page

    Safeguard Your DD-214

    Virtually all Veterans Benefits are derived through the Veterans Discharge Certificate, DD-214 (or equivalent document).  It is extremely important that this document be safeguarded.  One way to do this is to record it with the County Clerk of the County in which you reside. In Texas, there is no charge for recording military discharges.  When you file the document you are given a certified copy by the Clerk's Office for your immediate use.  If, at a later time, another copy of the DD-214 is needed, you need only contact that County Clerk's office to get additional copies of the recorded document.

    If your DD-214 has been lost or destroyed and you did not register it with a County Clerk's Office, you will most likely have to request the document from your military personnel records maintained by the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, MO.  For additional information concerning this process, contact our office or visit their web site at  

  • Top of the Page

    Service Connected Disability Compensation

    This is the primary source of entitlements for those veterans who suffer a chronic disability resulting directly or indirectly from an injury or illness that originated while on ACTIVE DUTY with the U.S. Armed Forces.

  • Top of the Page

    Non-Service Connected (NSC) Pension

    The NSC Pension is a "needs based" program aimed at providing assistance to low income veterans who are permanently and totally disabled and who served during a wartime period recognized by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

  • Top of the Page

    Depenedency Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

    DIC is a survivors benefit for the dependents of a veteran whose death was the result of a service-connected disability or who had been 100% disabled due to a service connected condition for 10 years or more at the time of death.

  • Top of the Page

    Death Pension

    The death pension is similar to the NSC pension in that it is a "needs based" program.  It is designed to provide assistance to the survivors of veterans who served during a wartime period.  However, the survivor need not be totally disabled.  The survivor must have income from all sources below the Maximum Allowable Pension Rate (MAPR) and have a "limited" estate.  The veteran must have received an other than dishonorable discharge and have served at least 90 days active military service with at least one day served during a wartime period.

  • Top of the Page

    Burial Benefits

    The following individuals are eligible for burial in a National Cemetery.

    • Any member of the US Armed Forces who died on active duty.
    • Any veteran who entered active duty as an enlisted person before September 7, 1980, or as an officer before October 17, 1981, with at least one day of active duty, other than for training. Discharge/separation must have been under conditions other than dishonorable.
    • Any veteran who entered active duty as an enlisted person after September 7, 1980, or as an officer after October 17, 1981, with 24 consecutive months of active duty other than for training.  Discharge/separation must have been under conditions other than dishonorable.
    • Members of the reserve components of the armed forces, the Army and Air National Guard, and the Reserve Officers Training Corps who die while on active duty for training, or who have 20 years of service creditable for retired pay.  A 20 year letter is required.
    • The spouse, widow/widower of an eligible active duty member or veteran.
    • The minor children of an eligible active duty member or veteran (under 21 years of age or under 23 years of age if attending an approved educational institution).

    There is no charge for the plot, opening or closing of the grave, or the marker. Arrangements cannot be made in advance for burial in a National Cemetery. At the time of need, the funeral director should contact the National Cemetery Director's Office to arrange for services. The funeral director may also make arrangements for an appropriate Honor Guard for the veteran.

  • Top of the Page

    Fort Sam National Cemetery

    There is a national cemetery in San Antonio, Texas. The cemetery is located at 1520 Harry Wurzbach Rd., San Antonio, Texas 78209-6002. The phone number is 210.820.3891. Burials are conducted Monday thru Friday; burials are not conducted on weekends.

  • Top of the Page

    VA Guaranteed Home Loans

    The Department of Veterans Affairs offers home loan guarantees for eligible veterans that may result in lower interest rates and loan origination and closing costs. The veteran is required to submit a "Certificate of Eligibility" issued by the DVA to the lending institution to verify eligibility for the loan guarantee. Applications for Certificates of Eligibility may be picked up at our office or obtained from the local DVA Benefits Office at 5788 Eckhert Rd, San Antonio, TX 78240. For additional information you may call  the toll free DVA number, 1-888-232-2571. For a complete discussion and information on the VA Home Loan program, you may also visit the DVA Home Loan Guaranty Services web site at

  • Top of the Page

    Texas Veterans Benefits

    Benefit programs are available to eligible veterans through the State of Texas. These additional benefits range from Ad Valorem tax exemptions for service connected disabled veterans, to reduced rate motor vehicle license, drivers license, and entry fees to state parks and recreational facilities, to education assistance at State funded institutions.

    Information concerning Texas veterans programs is also available by visiting the Texas Veterans Commission web site at Information concerning Texas Veterans land, purchases, home improvement, and housing purchase assistance is available through the Texas Veterans Land Board by calling 1-800-252-8387 or by accessing their web site at

  • Top of the Page

    Additional Benefit Information

    For additional information concerning federal veterans' benefits you may also contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) directly by calling the DVA toll free number, 1-800-827-1000 or by accessing the DVA web at

    Additional information concerning State of Texas veterans' benefits may be found by calling the toll free Texas Veterans Hot Line at 1-800-252-8387 or by accessing the Texas Veterans Commission web site at

    There is also a new Texas Veterans on-line website at that includes information on both federal and state veteran benefits.

Go Back to Guadalupe County